The award was established in memory of Donald T. Warner, a founding board member of HYSB and a dedicated and life-long community volunteer, and is presented to the recipient in acknowledgment of exemplary service to children and families within the community. As an active member of the HYSB, Donald led by example and motivated others to remain committed to the mission of assisting, advocating and providing support services for all children and families in the six towns of the far Northwest Corner.
Donald was also part of the planning committee within Region One School District which served to establish the Bureau. He continued to serve on the Board of Directors up until his illness and subsequent death in 1995. As a resident of Sharon, Donald was involved in many other community endeavors and also served on the Board of Directors of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation. Until his death he served as Chairman of the Public Welfare Foundation in Washington, D.C. which is committed to supporting organizations that provide services to disadvantaged populations world wide.
Criteria for recommendation for the award is that the recipient is a resident of Region One and has demonstrated an ongoing commitment to service to children and families (showing long-term efforts, preferably in several organizations or projects). Nominations are taken from Board Members of the Housatonic Youth Service Bureau and reviewed by committee.
- 2015 - Bill and Sue Morrill
- 2013 - Diane and Clive Lodge
- 2012 - Lea Davies, Sharon
- 2011 - Carl Williams, Salisbury
- 2010 - Lynn Nania, North Canaan
- 2009 - Artgarage founders : Joel Schapira, Diane Schapira, Amy Jenkins, James Meyer, and Sandy Dennis.
- 2008 - Val Bernardoni, formerly of Salisbury
- 2007 - Ella Clark, West Cornwall
- 2006 - George Wheeler, North Canaan
- 2004 - Nancy Bird, Sharon
- 2002 - Charlotte Reid, Salisbury
- 2000 - Jack Mahoney, Falls Village
- 1999 - Diane Hewat, Salisbury
- 1998 - Theodora Bury, Cornwall
- 1997 - Therese Duncan, Kent
- 1996 - Gordon Johnson, DVM, Salisbury